The time had come for me to try my hand at making some donuts. This was an emotional journey as I have a profound love for the treat but was nervous to make them for myself as I was sure to disappoint and therefore be destined to always rely on others to provide vegan donuts.
Well, I made some. And they were amazing, if I do say so myself.
I would like you all to have the same opportunity to try making some easy baked chocolate donuts that can be made gluten-free and sugar free. The whole process took about a grand total of about 45 minutes start to finish. I will add that the glaze is optional but totally worth it.
*This recipe is nut free and vegan as it is but can be easy altered to accommodate other allergies or preferences.
Vegan Chocolate Donuts
Makes 5 Donuts
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup organic raw cacao powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 chia eggs (or 2 egg alternatives like flax eggs)
- 1/8 cup maple syrup
- 1/8 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup organic pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/3 dairy-free chocolate chips melted
- optional toppings (nuts,coconut flakes, sprinkles, etc)
- Preheat oven to 350 deg
- Mix all dry ingredients in medium size bowl (Tip: I put all these through a sifter to eliminate clumps. Makes for a smoother batter!)
- Fold in wet ingredients and stir to create batter. (Should not be runny or too thick. Ideally should look like thick cake batter. See photo below)
- Grease donut pan with coconut oil
- Scoop batter into pan and place in oven
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the edges of the donuts pull away slightly from the pan.
- Cool completely before glazing.
- Eat them so quickly that you forget to share and now you have to make another batch.
I hope you try this recipe and let me know what you think! I am looking for the best recipe so if you have adjustments or suggestions, let me know!